Monday, August 6, 2012

A 2 Fer! Both Willie Nelson and Scott Weiland in the same day!

A few days ago (I know, I'm slow at posting), I got a call from my friend asking me if I was going out for Willie Nelson; who was in town to perform. To tell you the truth, I had completely forgot about it. I had plans to go, but didn't remember it was that day. Crazy! Anyway, my friend was driving around town trying to find Willie's bus. You can't miss that thing and he is notorious for staying on the bus most of the day to smoke up. Way to go Willie!

So my journey begins with a trip to the record store (or multiple stores I should say) to find a few good albums for him to sign. I wasn't sure if I would get him yet alone how many he might sign as I've gone for him twice before with no luck. I had heard stories that he racked in Flagstaff recently and a friend got him on 32 albums. I found that really hard to believe and since I didn't see it done myself, I was going to play it safe with just a couple albums. I found a few that I liked, as well as a cd of Red Headed Stranger; and was on my way to the venue when I got a call telling me we struck gold. My friend had found his hotel and I was ON MY WAY!

When I got there, I saw about 18 people were already there and probably more coming so I sat with my friend in his air conditioned car until we saw people start to move. Everyone was standing by the bus when I saw someone come out. I quickly got out of the car and made my way to the front when she said Willie is going to come out and sign now so everyone get in a line and no more than 5 items each. Wow! I had only brought 4 :(  Boy was I under-prepared.

True to her word, Willie came out and started signing. The friend I had told you about earlier that supposedly got 32 albums done just got Willie to sign 23 right in front of me. He just kept signing them as the guy flipped the albums. Of course, his graph got worse and worse. :)  A little justice I suppose. I was next and not only did Willie sign my 2 albums, both the cover and cd, but my friend gave me 2 photo's on a one-for-one; so I got those done as well. He also was nice enough to take a photo with me. Willie is now the KING! He was sooooooo nice I couldn't believe it. Of course, he was prob high as a kite. LOL. Thanks Willie! Can't wait to do it again.







 
Now onto the next event. Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots was going to be in town for a small concert. I had heard how tough the guy is to get and had never tried for him before so this was going to be interesting. I went to the venue and there were only 3 people waiting so we all chatted about past experiences and whether or not we thought he was going to sign. On a side note, this always amazes me. I can't believe how many people say "I don't think we are going to get him" when they are there waiting for a graph. If you are not going to be positive...if you do not think you are going to get the graph...then GO HOME! You have to think positive when you are doing this or you will fail. Period! Okay, enough about that.

So we heard from security that his plane was running late and he wasn't going to be there until right before the show. This was not a good sign so I went inside to find out more info. I met a guy there that was a friend of a friend, who happen to know the manager of the bar so I chatted with him for a bit. We agreed to pitch in a get a VIP table and the manager was going to get us into the meet and greet. What a deal, as I heard the head security guy say that there is no way he is letting Scott sign for those ebayers outside. His exact words. Crazy what people think. What business is it of his if people sell their autographs of not. He's not the one waiting for 6 hrs in 110+ degrees for the chance at getting a graph.

So we decided to get a VIP table and in we went. I didn't have tickets to the show so every time security came around to check tickets, I had to song and dance my way around it. I was successful of course! :)  We watched a good show...ate some good food...and now it was over. There was not a meet and greet as I heard Scott was a little out of sorts, if you know what I mean. He walked right past us on the way out and didn't sign inside, so I ran outside just in time to get him to sign my picture. Granted, he only signed 5 autographs before being rushed off but I was lucky enough to get one of them signed beautifully. Thanks Scott!



Now you would think the night would be over, as well it should since it had already been about a 13 hour day; but I knew that hotel Scott was staying at and rushed off to try and get my other 2 items signed. I past his car on the freeway and meet him as he got out of the car at the hotel. He was shocked to say the least, and not very willing to do it; but I broke him down and he signed another picture and my purple cd (only the cd, he wouldn't do the cover also). Thanks so much Scott! Both you and Willie made my day!




Now home to get some sleep! Thanks guys for taking the time to read my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment